Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Makin' Music

I got tagged by The Fixer who says he would like to see my musical inclinations. This was actually very hard for me to do since I am something of a musical gourmand (let's just call it eclectic, ok?). I love jazz torch songs, bluegrass, new wave, latin, flamenco, country, folk, and good old rock n' roll. Plus plenty of other stuff I can't even define. I have approximately 136 hours of music on my MediaPlayer and I still don't have all of my favorites on there. Ever since I worked at Sam Goody's (1995) I've tried to pick up the Grammy album each year in the vain hope of keeping up with the music scene. Since I no longer commute to the big city I'm not listening to the really hip stations, either. I can't say that these are my answers for all time, but they are my answers for today...

A. Top Five Lyrics that Move Your Heart:

  1. "I guess it took a little time for me to see
    The reason I was born into this world
    And what I'd have to go through
    For I've finally realize that I could be
    Infinitely better than before
    Definitely stronger
    I'll face whatever comes my way
    Savor each moment of the day
    Love as many people as I can along the way
    Help someone who's giving up
    If it's just to raise my eyes and pray" ~ Always Tomorrow, Gloria Estefan

  2. "Look, if you had one shot, one opportunity
    To seize everything you ever wanted-One moment
    Would you capture it or just let it slip?" ~ Lose Yourself, Eminem

  3. "I never spent a single day in retail
    telling people what they want to hear
    telling people anything to make a sale
    Eating in the food court
    with the old and the bored" ~ Never Is Enough, Barenaked Ladies

  4. "Wake up, ninety miles an hour, take the world's fastest shower,
    Coffee black, microwave it, I'm at my best caffeinated.
    Out the door, pick up the pace, I'm here, I'm there, I'm everyplace.
    That's how it goes, a day in my life, I'm on my toes from morning to night
    Livin' like this, some might say it's so exhaustin' frenzied, manic
    Call me nuts but I like it frantic" ~ Frantic, Jamie O'Neal

  5. "When you dance the fiddlers stand in line,
    That's something you should remember" ~ Reap What You Sow, Obsessive Behavior

B. Top 5 Instrumentals:
  1. Throne Room - John Williams (Star Wars Soundtrack and the Recessional for our wedding... sans Wookie yowl)
  2. Ode to a Butterfly - Nickle Creek
  3. Tempest - Jesse Cook
  4. Concerning Hobbits - Howard Shore (LOTR Soundtrack)
  5. Catina Band - John Williams (Star Wars Soundtrack)
C. Top 5 Live Musical Experiences:
  1. Sting, Brand New Day Tour (my first concert, a present from my husband for my 30th birthday)
  2. walking down Bourbon Street (best when accompanied by Cafe Du Monde beignets)
To go beyond that would be to list everything I've seen live. I don't get out much...

D. Top Five Artists You Think More People Should Listen To:
  1. Rebeka Reed
  2. Obsessive Behavior
  3. Squirrel Nut Zippers
  4. Johnny Deluxe
  5. The Corrs
Honorable Mention: Dixie Chicks (just for Dubya)

E. Top Five Albums You Must Hear From Start to Finish:

  1. Zenyatta Mendatta - The Police
  2. Nothing Like The Sun - Sting
  3. The Woman in Me - Shania Twain
  4. Stripped - Christina Aguilera
  5. Forgiven, Not Forgotten - The Corrs
F. Top Five Musical Heroes:
  1. Sting
  2. Jimmy Buffet
  3. Mozart
  4. Dolly Parton
  5. Louis Armstrong
Honorable Mention: Ella Fitzgerald, Patsy Cline, Ray Charles, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Seal

No comments:

Post a Comment