Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2005

I'm not going to be your monkey

Does anyone remember Jon Stewart on Crossfire back on October 15? He took them, and to a great extent the whole of television journalism, to task.
"You know, it's interesting to hear you talk about my responsibility... I didn't realize that -- and maybe this explains quite a bit.... is that the news organizations look to Comedy Central for their cues on integrity....The show that leads into me is puppets making crank phone calls."
I cheered. As I recall I said, 'If he keeps this up we will all have to worship him as our Lord Savior of Journalistic Integrity. Can't you just imagine Walter Cronkite? "Thank God.... But how in the hell did that happen?"'

Tonight Brian Williams (NBC) called Jon and the Daily Show on the "Iraqi judge" report. I applaud Mr. Williams for having the guts to come out and make the correction. I applaud Jon for having the guts to let him do it. These 40-somethings are earning my respect. Facts AND integrity. What a heady mix.

Hopefully they will archive the interview soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment