Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2005

Philosophy Killed the Radio Star

It looks like there is a 'thing' going around the blogs to list your five favorite philosophers and ten random songs. Like Oyster, I do not have an iFruit (nice Foxtrot reference, btw), but I do have MediaPlayer playlists set to random on my computer. I will try to be as honest as possible with all of these answers.

Philosophers:
The last philosophy book I read was actually The D'oh of Homer, but I do have some vague memories of those college philosophy classes. I was a bit addicted to them at the time.

1. David Hume
Hume rocks. I think I might be an empiricist at heart.
"Nothing is more surprising than the easiness with which the many are governed by the few."
2. Ralph Waldo Emerson
What a perfect time he had - off in the woods to think, but with friends dropping over to visit.
"People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character."
3. John Locke
So many good thoughts.
"To love truth for truth's sake is the principle part of human perfection in this world, and the seed-plot of all other virtues."
4. Heraclitus
There must be balance in the universe. (Or... balance in the Force there must be, hmmm.) And the only thing that is certain is change. Except from a vending machine.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
5. Friedrich Nietzsche
I read Nietzsche the same reason that my sister watches FoxNews. To get riled up. I find his arguments interesting, but opposed to my own nature for the most part. But that's ok, because as our instructor pointed out, "For every Nietzsche essay there is an equal and opposite Nietzsche essay...."
"We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us."

Now I feel like I need to go read some good philosophy screeds.

Random Songs:

When I shut down my computer last I was on my playlist "Inspiration", so I think that utter randomness is to just open it up and start at the top...

1. "We Shall Be Free" - Garth Brooks
Yeah, I used to hate Garth Brooks, too, but some of his lyrics are great and the music is always bouncy fun. Call me shallow. I can take it. But I love this song and it's my favorite that he ever wrote.
2. "What a Wonderful World" - Louis Armstrong
Excellent! I'm glad this one came up. It's one of my all-time favorite songs and is officially "our song". Yes, we played it at our medieval wedding.
3. "Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes" - Jimmy Buffet
If I were just a drinker I would probably be a Parrot Head. (Let's just say that other people at work named my cube, and it is called "The Beachhouse".) I recently watched a biography on him and was surprised that he considered the mid-80s to be a "lowpoint" in his career, with people thinking he might have been a one-hit wonder.
4. "Never is Enough" - Barenaked Ladies
It's depressing that I've done things that they say never will be enough of doing. But it's still a cool song.
5. "Celebrate Youth" - Rick Springfield
Yes, I love the 80s. What of it?
6. "Wonder" - Natalie Merchant
What a great song.
7. "You're the Inspiration" - Chicago
It's one of my husband's favorite songs so I always think of him when it comes on. On three everybody go "awwwwww".
8. "The River" - Garth Brooks
I think it's good of me to admit that I have enough of his stuff that he came up again already. This is one of my other favorites from him. I will, in fact, sail my vessel until the river runs dry.
9. "Closer to Fine" - Indigo Girls
I'm very amused to have this show up after the philosophers list since a stanza is, "And I went to see the doctor of philosophy, With a poster of rasputin and a beard down to his knee, He never did marry or see a b-grade movie, He graded my performance, he said he could see through me, I spent four years prostrate to the higher mind, Got my paper and I was free"
10. "Change the World" - Eric Clapton
Ain't that all we really want to do? Change the world for the better?

No comments:

Post a Comment