Pages

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Really? That Was So Not the Obvious

Every now and then it hits me that, for all the time we've spent together in this blogosphere, I've forgotten to tell you so many things. After having Xander come up as my sidekick I did a Google search to see how many times I had referenced Buffy on the blog. Apparently there was that time and.... that was it. Like I didn't adore Buffy or anything.

As if!

Well, let me make up for that now. When the movie Buffy the Vampire Slayer was coming out I worked at the bookstore and picked up the novelization before opening night. It was crappy in the way that those sorts of novelizations always are, but I sensed it. I smelled the Whedon. I dragged my friends to the movie and sensed it again, the Whedonesque, but it still wasn't clear. It wasn't clear but it was enough. I was hooked.

When the tv series Buffy the Vampire Slayer came out I could tell that the Whedon was stronger. I was at my dad's house and taped the first episode when I watched it. I teased that I was going to be the only person in the world with an entire collection of the show, all six episodes. Up where I lived no one got the WB. My dad's house was five states away so I would nag him into taping them and then drive 16 hours one way to pick up the tapes (and cases of Barq's rootbeer, which we also didn't have). The episodes went beyond six. I became hopeful that there was finally going to be a good show that didn't get killed. Of course, it did get killed. But at least we got seven seasons out of it first.

How much of a fan am I? My Buffy tribute shelf includes books, action figures, comic books, a lunch box, games, a hat, a mug, and a Supernatural Defense Kit. Oh, and nice coordinating silk roses to tie the whole look together.

Ok, you already knew I was a geek. But did you know I was a Buffy geek?

No comments:

Post a Comment