Pages

Friday, March 25, 2005

You'll Be a Star!

What the *bleep*? How can it be Friday again?

By way of the Right Hand Thief I found out about the 90s Movie List Friday Blogging. This is going to take some concentrated effort to figure out which of my movies are from the 90s, then winnow down the list. We love movies. We own over 200 DVDs. Fortunately I can do some searching through IMDB and IMDBpro. I'm not using numbers because I can't even begin to think about priority order and I'm not even going to try to keep to 10. That would be ludicrous.
  • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) - My favorite franchise, the REAL Star Trek movies, just barely made it into this decade. I dressed to the nines and went to opening night. I knew it was going to be my last real date with Spock.
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992) - Like, what's your sitch if you don't like this movie? It's totally about cute blonde girls coming into their own. And triumphing over evil using their incredible fashion sense.
  • Aladdin (1992) - Probably one of the defining movies for me and my husband. We can pretty much recite the whole movie.
  • Wayne's World (1992) - Shyeah. "If you think you're going to hurl..."
  • The Cutting Edge (1992) - "Toe pick!"
  • Demolition Man (1993) - The first movie where I really noticed my favorite actress Sandra Bullock. And who can forget, "Mellow greetings, sir. What seems to be your boggle?"
  • Robin Hood: Men In Tights (1993) - "Fix your boobs, Blinken. You look like a bleedin' Picasso."
  • Groundhog Day (1993) - This was the movie when I decided that I was going to work with Harold Ramis one day.
  • Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994) - I have to love any character that has THAT many pets. Reminds me of home...
  • The Mask (1994) - Cartoonish with big band music. Anyone who remembers my obsession with "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" in the 80s knew that this was a gimmee.
  • Stargate (1994) - The best sci-fi movie of the decade in my opinion. Very interesting, original, and character driven. And yes, I now watch the show SG-1.
  • While You Were Sleeping (1995) - My traditional Christmas movie. I watch it while I bake cookies. Yes, Sandra Bullock again.
  • Se7en (1995) - The fight between good and evil has always intrigued me. I thought that this was an especially clever treatment. And I'll watch anything with Morgan Freeman in it.
  • The Net (1995) - Yes, Sandra Bullock again. And paranoia. Well, it isn't paranoia if they're really after you, so let's call it conspiracy theories.
  • Cutthroat Island (1995) - Whenever I list off my favorite "chick flicks" I always include this one and Aliens. Women who know how to kick butt. I wore out my first VHS tape and had to get another one, and I have it on DVD. I don't care what the reviews were, I really, really like this movie! "I find myself being fired upon by an entire SHIP!"
  • Happy Gilmore (1996) - It's like watching my husband play golf....
  • Men In Black (1997) - It was sci-fi, it was cool, and Tony Shalhoub was in it. Nuff said.
  • Liar, Liar (1997) - Can you imagine how horrible YOUR day would be if the truth just kept falling out of your mouth every time you opened it? Just walking down the hall you might burst out with, 'Good God, but that's an ugly blouse!'
  • Conspiracy Theory (1997) - Just the title hooks me in. "A good conspiracy is unprovable. I mean, if you can prove it, it means they screwed up somewhere along the line."
  • The Siege (1998) - The script was written by a journalist who showed a lot of insight into our national psyche. And Tony Shalhoub was in it!
  • Austin Powers (1997) - I actually hated this movie the first time I saw it. Then they played snips all over the DC radio stations. Then I started quoting it. Then I saw it again. Then I ended up watching it a million times. Besides, we love Seth Green. "No actually the boy is quite astute. I really am trying to kill him, but so far unsuccessfully. He's quite wily, like his old man."
  • Mulan (1998) - "The flower that blooms amid adversity is the most rare and beautiful."
  • The Wedding Singer (1998) - I like the movie, but for me the most exciting moment was when they started playing the song, "I Want Money". I had heard that song ONCE on the Chapel Hill college radio station in the 80s and had always wanted it for my "Money Mix" music collection. To my immense relief they put it on the soundtrack and all was happiness in my universe. Oh, and the movie is fun, too.
  • Ever After (1998) - Dude, I, like, HAD a medieval wedding. Do I really have to explain why this is a great movie in my opinion.
  • Practical Magic (1998) - Sandra Bullock and magic. And evil. And good. And Aiden Quinn. It's like I could have WRITTEN this movie.
  • The Mummy (1999) - The very definition of good, rollicking fun. "You swear?" "Every damn day."
  • 13th Warrior (1999) - The movie I have seen more than any other movie ever. I could leave it looping my whole life. It is ultimately a recasting of Beowulf. The first conversation I ever had with my husband was when he walked up to me because he noticed what I was reading. "Beowulf is my favorite epic," he said. The rest is history.
  • The Matrix (1999) - Dude, it's like philosophy with a cool pair of Ray Bans on. Another movie that I could have written. Except I never would have cast Keanu so it probably would have failed. It needed that emotional hollowness in the middle of it so that it could be primarily cerebral.
Honorable Mention: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - I was really more into the cartoon, but I do love those turtles.

(By the way, IMDB has a nice 'top rated' list for 1990-1999. If you have IMDBpro you can look at top grossers by year.)

No comments:

Post a Comment