Pages

Monday, March 7, 2005

Reality Intruded

It's been a busy couple of weeks at work. I didn't even get to go to the Friday Morning Liberal Coffee last week. And today I found out that I made a major rookie mistake on something that was going forward to the Vice President. The sort of thing that I have years of training to NOT do. The sort of thing that I have little awards and training certificates that I could (if I were into that sort of thing) hang on my office walls to prove that I DON'T do.

I have a degree in accounting, with years of work in the field, and I was also trained as a budget analyst by a helluva Budget Officer who was from the Office of Management and Budget.

I should know better than to let a column of numbers pass me by without checking the addition.

Yep, I did that.

My boss caught it (thank the Lord). His gentle way of pointing out what a moron you've been without actually SAYING what a moron you've been reminds me of why we all worship him. To be right 99% of the time and not be an ass about it is a big part of what makes a great leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment