Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

The Dance

So it's NOT just Martha.
A federal jury in Manhattan found the 63-year-old Mr. Ebbers guilty of nine counts, including fraud, conspiracy and filing false documents. During the trial, jurors heard how Mr. Ebbers had inflated the earnings and hidden the expenses of WorldCom to fool investors and lenders...Mr. Ebbers' conviction comes more than two years after an internal auditor at WorldCom uncovered suspicious accounting practices. A further investigation revealed that accountants had made $11 billion worth of false entries to hide financial problems from investors and the public.
It's the sort of thing that always makes me say, "What is WRONG with people?" The first, second and last thing that was preached to me in accounting class was ethics. I wonder what school those cretins went to.

Then again, what is wrong with me? This quote makes me laugh every time I see it and it's almost on topic, so here you go:

"Never call an accountant a credit to his profession; a good accountant is a debit to his profession." ~ Sir Charles Lyell

No comments:

Post a Comment