Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Dirty Words

Robert Reich is on The Daily Show right now with his new book:



It got me to thinking I've been meaning to look up liberal/liberalism and conservative/conservatism since I think most people are talking from perceptions, not facts. Ultimately what is important is that the communication is effective but I think it's also good to know the true definitions.

    Liberalism: A political theory founded on the natural goodness of humans and the autonomy of the individual and favoring civil and political liberties, government by law with the consent of the governed, and protection from arbitrary authority.

    Conservatism: A political orientation advocating the preservation of the best in society and opposing radical changes.

This confirms for me that I'm a Conservative Liberal.

No comments:

Post a Comment