Pages

Thursday, February 12, 2004

Why I Love This Man

Ya wanna know why I love Dean? It's because he makes SENSE when he talks. He THINKS. The following is from the recent debate...

    Senator Kerry, I thank you and all veterans for their distinguished service to our country. But to me, this is the only serious difference between you and the president.

    From prior primary exit polls, it appears that the people of our great land identify with me more on the issues than they do with you. But I am greatly overshadowed by you on the issue of electability. I do not understand, and let me explain why.

    You tell the president to 'Bring It On'. But when he does, he will be able to say that you supported him on 'No Child Left Behind'. When he does, he will be able to say you supported him on the PATRIOT act. When he does, he will be able to say you supported him on the tax cuts. When he does, he will be able to say that you supported him on the war.

    You did this even when you had access to a classified document that explained the public information was likely exagerrated. Many of your fellow senators dissented. But all of what I have just mentioned, you supported. It was easy then. Bush and what he was pushing was popular. Only now do you complain and say Bush was wrong. This all applies to you too, Senator Edwards.

    I stood against all of them at the time. Loudly, I challenged the Bush administration then. I also complained about the power of special interests over our government, back then in the early days of the campaign. You must now also understand the problems this poses, as you have begun speaking as I have all along. Only when it is pointed out that you have received and accepted that money, as you have also Senator Edwards, do you claim that it has no effect on you. Will not Bush say the same in his own defense?

    And regarding dirty politics, there is an ad the people should know about. It was run in Iowa, partially paid for by supporters of your campaign, Senator Kerry. It showed Osama, and a voiceover said that I would not protect our country. It was similar to the one run by Republicans against another hero of Vietnam, and a supporter of yours, Max Cleland. Both were despicable ads, yet you refuse to decline the donations of those who ran it.

    To the people of Wisconsin, and the entire United States, I ask you to stand with us. I try to be as direct and honest as possible, answering questions with a yes or no before I explain more fully. I like to believe that that is why so many are dedicated to this campaign. The media seems to believe it is some out of touch liberal movement. Call it liberal if that includes balancing budgets and a high rating from the NRA. To me, it is progressive, rational reform. It is all about making this country more accountable to working people. We Want Our Country Back, from those who say dissent is unamerican. And when I say 'You Have the Power', I mean you are gonna have to work for this change we want to see. There are people in Washington paid to get the laws to profit a few over the many. There are media companies that like it that way too. They are not evil, they are just doing their job.

    You have the power, nay, the responsibility, to represent yourself and your children in the political process. You must find candidates to represent you, at all levels of government. You must make the committment to find out about their record and their stands on issues, even as the media seems more concerned with the horserace than differences in policy or accomplishments.

    I stand here as the candidate, still 2nd in the delegate count, only because more than 600,000 people were willing to take time out of their lives in a difficult economy. I need your vote, but I ask a greater service of you. It is my hope that you take time to reflect on all of our records, plans for the future, and ability to take on and defeat George Bush. And then, do not only vote for one of us, but consider donating or volunteering your time to that campaign. Let us build a stronger party, one that inspires, one united in a new sense of community.

No comments:

Post a Comment