Here are the meme rules:
1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people & post a comment here once you post it to your blog, so I can come see.
We can hold a face in memory, and we can solve a puzzle in a flash. But what Schooler is saying is that all these abilities are incredibly fragile. Insight is not a lightbulb that goes off inside our heads.
~ Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell
In case that entry made you wonder what the next line was? "It is a flickering candle that can easily be snuffed out."
I hereby pass this meme along to the following fabulous bloggers:
- The Notorious ADB. I would seriously like to know what reading material you have closest to you. Bonus points if it turns out to be a bureaucratic manual.
- Subspace at GalaticMu. I know you hate memes but I think you will find this to be the exception - and entertaining for me to boot. What would be even cooler would be if everyone on the GalacticMu wanted to do this and string it together into one funky sci-fi vignette. But, you know, no pressure...
- Pam at beancounters. Bonus points if you have something close to hand that ISN'T a schoolbook or bureaucratic manual. Yes, I worry about you.
- Nevsky at 2+2=5. You need to post a FEW more things on your blog anyway!
- sixthdoctor at lighthearted mental sewage. What are you reading under that great big festering neon distraction? Inquiring minds want to know.