Liberalism: A political theory founded on the natural goodness of humans and the autonomy of the individual and favoring civil and political liberties, government by law with the consent of the governed, and protection from arbitrary authority. [Also a] 19th-century Protestant movement that favored free intellectual inquiry, stressed the ethical and humanitarian content of Christianity, and de-emphasized dogmatic theologySo what do we mean by "favoring civil and political liberties"?
- The condition of being free from restriction or control.
- The right and power to act, believe, or express oneself in a manner of one's own choosing.
- The condition of being physically and legally free from confinement, servitude, or forced labor. See Synonyms at freedom.
- Freedom from unjust or undue governmental control.
- A right or immunity to engage in certain actions without control or interference: the liberties protected by the Bill of Rights.
Why do we believe in so much freedom? Well, look back at the autonomy of the individual. Since we believe that you will act like a responsible adult, there is no reason to treat you like a child.