Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2004

If I Ran The Circus (That's What I Want)

Things really do get stuck in my head from time to time. Which, if you know me, is something of a surprise. I always say that I have a mind like a steel colander. Not quite awful, but well below the steel trap that I had in my youth. Some things that got stuck there over the years:

When I was in third grade I ran across a Dr. Seuss book I had never seen before, "If I Ran The Circus". I read it at school and LOVED it. I didn't see it again for years, but it was always stuck in the back of my head. To this day when people ask my opinion on a decision I start my answer with, "Well, if I ran the circus..." and think of that book. Last year I made a pilgrimage to the Children's section of Barnes and Nobles to make sure that it existed and I hadn't dreamed it. (I hadn't ever seen it again in 25 years!) Then this month my husband was unboxing some of his old toys and books that his dad cleaned out of the attic and there it was!!! I knew we were a match made in heaven. He had my book.



When I was 15 I lived briefly in Chapel Hill, NC. They had the coolest, kitschiest University radio station ever. I heard part of a song there once that I couldn't get out of my head for YEARS. Since I only caught part of it and this was pre-music-on-the-internet I had no hope of finding it. Then Adam Sandler put it in his movie soundtrack! The song is "Money (That's What I Want" by the Flying Lizards.

No comments:

Post a Comment