Pages

Friday, March 23, 2007

Wherein Subspace is Appreciated for Her Bloggy Goodness, Even Though She Accuses Wil Wheaton of Being a Total Jock

In case you for some reason read TTGSiMH and not The Bean Mines, I will catch you up on recent events. Subspace totally dissed Wil Wheaton, I asked her to cut him a break, and she decided no, really, she wouldn't. The upshot is that I accept her position and we won't be doing any Jell-O wrasslin' in Ohio, Virginia, or points inbetween. (Although that would be a heckuva tour.)

Since Subspace was nice enough to call my comment, "as usual well-written, thoughtful and articulate" I figure I should return the love.

Subspace is one of my favorite writers. I anxiously await the day when she will publish a novel or start a serious series of observational essays. She has the dry wit of Russell Baker*, the absurdist sensibilities of Douglas Adams, and the soaring imagination of, well, Subspace. I say, with utter sincerity and in a way that only we science fiction geeks can understand, she is my kind of scum. Her turn of phrase is clever, her use of metaphor original, and her perspective on life is both unique and refreshing.

Carry on, Subspace. We may not agree about Wil Wheaton but I can get over that. And if he comes over to play Zombies I will totally invite you.

* For those who don't know Russell Baker, he wrote a column for the Washington Post for many years. He also hosted "Masterpiece Theatere" for twelve years. I think I own all of his books. Some fun Baker quotes so you can see if they remind you of Subspace's wry take on things:

“I gave up on new poetry myself 30 years ago when most of it began to read like coded messages passing between lonely aliens in a hostile world.”

“So there he is at last. Man on the moon. The poor magnificent bungler! He can't even get to the office without undergoing the agonies of the damned, but give him a little metal, a few chemicals, some wire and twenty or thirty billion dollars and, vroom!”

“A railroad station? That was sort of a primitive airport, only you didn't have to take a cab 20 miles out of town to reach it.”

“Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories - those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost.”

No comments:

Post a Comment