Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2005

Workin' for the Weekend


It's another weekend in the office. I guess I can be happy that it's been awhile, but I must be getting too old for this. I don't remember feeling this resentful before. As you can tell I'm having to take frequent breaks to check the blogs and chat with my sister about Firefly.

I read an article in BusinessWeek a little while ago that I've looked up to quote for you here. The title is "The Real Reasons You're Working So Hard."

"Companies have been willing to pay big bucks for those longer hours. Over the past 15 to 20 years, people working a 40-hour week received virtually no increase in real pay, according to research by Kuhn and Lozano. Yet employees putting in a 55-hour week saw their real pay rise by 14%. The implication: The gains of two decades of growth have mainly gone to ambitious -- or fearful -- Americans who are working longer hours."

This harkens back to a slogan my team adhered to during the most grueling weeks of a software implementation in the mid-90s. "Everything is ok as long as my check shows up at the bank."

No comments:

Post a Comment