Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2004

"Water is necessary, and then generators, and then food, and then clothes."

How can we read the same things and have such a different reaction?

USA Today reported:

NEW YORK (AP) — Teresa Heinz Kerry, encouraging volunteers as they busily packed supplies Wednesday for hurricane relief efforts in the Caribbean, said she was concerned the effort was too focused on sending clothes instead of essentials like water and electric generators.

"Clothing is wonderful, but let them go naked for a while, at least the kids," said Heinz Kerry, the wife of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry. "Water is necessary, and then generators, and then food, and then clothes."

Heinz Kerry stopped by a market in the heart of Brooklyn's Caribbean community, where she spoke French with Haitian vendors and shook hands with volunteers busy packing food, clothes and other relief supplies to be shipped to several Carribean islands hit by Hurricane Ivan. Her husband's campaign donated water, blankets and first aid kits.

"I think it's important we help all the kids we can," Heinz Kerry said.

I had to dig up this article. I did so because someone had told me that Heinz-Kerry had made some horrible and stupid comments about Haiti. When I read this I think that she's practical. Today it was reported (scroll to the bottom) "U.N. troops from Argentina fired smoke grenades Friday to disperse a crowd when about 500 men, women and children tried to break into a schoolyard where a relief agency hands out grain and water." I'm sure those in the crowd would have felt so much better doing it in a pair of used Calvin Klines.

When my friend had originally mentioned the Heinz-Kerry quote his stance was that "she's rich, she should just take care of Haiti". Really? I said. And what portion of your income to YOU give to charity? I asked. We're the richest country in the world. Give up a couple of latte for world hunger. He looked appalled that I was inquiring as to his charitable contributions (which I would bet money range far, far below even 2% of income). Why hold someone else to a higher standard than you hold yourself? You don't HAVE to have a nice apartment any more than the Kerry's HAVE to have whatever it is they've got. Funny how we can all expand our personal 'demand' to exceed our personal 'supply' here in America.

Oh, his response was, "I'm not running for office. I think they should be held to a higher standard. They want to represent us."

Well, hell, the definition of represent is "to substitute in some capacity for : act the part of, in place of, or for (as another person) usually by legal right: as to serve esp. in a legislative body by delegated authority usually resulting from an election".

So, in effect, he doesn't want someone to represent him (act in place of) but of an ideal VERSION of him. How he thinks the world SHOULD be.

I've got some bad news for you. Life is the ultimate Do-It-Yourself project. You're either part of the problem or part of the solution. Quit bitching about what everyone else should be doing and show me what YOU can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment