Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Langston Hughes

While researching something completely different I ran across an author that I think will become a new favorite - Langston Hughes. He speaks to me. The first poem I encountered this evening was Dreams.
Dreams

Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams.
For if dreams go,
Life is a barren field
Covered with snow.
Exactly what I needed to hear.

Racing through the poems available online like a child in a candy shop I found that a poem that is also quite perfect for my political side. It is lengthy so I won't quote it, but check out Let America be America Again.

Thank you, Langston Hughes. You died before I was born but your writing feels like it is from a friend as it reaches across time to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment