Pages

Sunday, March 26, 2006

On Writing and Being a Writer

Sixthdoctor's review of Ben Domenech's plagiarism led him to contemplation about what it means to write and to be a writer. Much like the sixthdoctor I have created a small collection of rejection slips and found that I didn't have the stick-to-it-tivity to continue when I wasn't getting positive reinforcement. Because writing is, at heart, all about honesty. Which means that it is real and it hurts that much more when it isn't appreciated. My job is just "a job," but my writing is me. Like sixthdoctor the idea of plagiarism isn't even comprehensible. Who would do that? Why? Since writing is all about honesty plagiarism means you aren't a writer. You can be a transcriber, and a dishonest one at that, but not a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment