Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2005

What's Your Holiday Style?

My sister had a brilliant idea at Thursday Night Liberal Wings. To save everyone the anxiety of wondering, "What should I say to this person? If I say 'Happy Holidays' will they beat me with a cross instead of accepting the good tidings of the season?" she proposed that we should all wear buttons telling everyone what we would like to hear. I still have some more to make up, but I have three at the Pith Stop so far. My husband has recommended a text change to "Wish me a [insert preference here]." If you have an opinion feel free to leave it in the comments.

The other designs I just have to have would be Festivus (for the rest of us), Yule, and Junkanoo. I think that it would be good to be able to also select from Seasons Greetings, Twelfth Night (one of my personal favorites since it was THE big feast back in the day... like back in the medieval day), Ramadan, and... well, what else can you guys think of that coincides with the winter solstice? Feel free to leave your ideas and celebrations in the comments.

To me the underlying brilliance of this approach is that the current whining is based on "they are trying to take Christmas away from us!" Actually I'd be perfectly happy to be CONSIDERATE of you and wish you a Merry Christmas if that's what you want to hear. You know, since you won't let me be unilaterally considerate and just wish everyone a "Happy Holiday." Whatever, it's your call.

No comments:

Post a Comment