Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2003

New Millenium Vocabulary

You know, it's funny, but I've been picking up new words for the new millenium. They've been out there, but they didn't mean much to me personally before. Here are two that I will carry forward into the future, remembering always how much they meant to me in the early 2000s.

Kakistocracy - I found this one posted in a co-workers cube. According to Heritage (via dictionary.com): Government by the least qualified or most unprincipled citizens.

Antinomian - I picked this one up from the 10/22/03 Daily Show interview with Walter Isaacson. He said he had always wanted to use it in a sentence. According to Heritage (via dictionary.com): Opposed to or denying the fixed meaning or universal applicability of moral law: "By raising segregation and racial persecution to the ethical level of law, it puts into practice the antinomian rules of Orwell's world. Evil becomes good, inhumanity is interpreted as charity, egoism as compassion" I also like the Webster's definition (via dictionary.com): One who maintains that, under the gospel dispensation, the moral law is of no use or obligation, but that faith alone is necessary to salvation.

Obviously the world has seen these things before, because there are already words for it. I guess the more things change the more they stay the same....

No comments:

Post a Comment